top of page


What is Rent Repayment Order?

A Rent Repayment Order (RRO) is an order in the United Kingdom that allows a tenant or local authority to reclaim rent or housing benefit where a landlord rents out an unlicensed property such as a House in multiple occupation (HMO)

Rent Repayment Orders are not obtained through the court's system but through a Residential Property Tribunal. 

(ref: wikipedia. for more please visit this page: Rent Repayment Order - Wikipedia

What is amount that you may be compensated with RRO?

An RRO can require the repayment of a sum of up to a maximum of 12 months’ rent

For get help on Rent Repayment Orders

You can contact Flat Justice to seek and advice on RRO .

Their website is

What, exactly,Flat Justice is;

Flat Justice Community Interest Company is a Not-For-Profit company that has a special structure under company law. Such companies are designed for social projects and enterprises that work to help the communities they serve: they have to pass a community interest test. In our case, specifically, helping tenants in the Private Rented Sector, mainly in London. The company has an Asset Lock: that means the assets of the company are used to achieve its stated aims. Our Articles of Association specify that, if and when the company should be wound up, the remaining assets will be donated to Shelter, the housing charity.

Flat Justice has Professional Indemnity Insurance and is a member of AdviceUK, a quality assessment and training organisation for social welfare advisory services.

For more information on Rent Repayment Orders, you can also visit;

For more information on this matter, you can visit the related website of Shelter from the link below;

Shelter Legal England - Rent repayment orders - Shelter England lists Offences that can result in a rent repayment order as;

With effect from 6 April 2017, the relevant offences are:[4]
using or threatening violence for securing entry into premises, under s.6 Criminal Law Act 1977

illegal eviction or harassment, under s.1 Protection from Eviction Act 1977

failure to comply with improvement notice, under s.30 Housing Act 2004

failure to comply with prohibition order, under s.32 Housing Act 2004

(from 6 April 2018) breach of banning order, under s.21 Housing and Planning Act 2016

having control of, or managing, an unlicensed property, under s.95 Housing Act 2004

having control of, or managing, an unlicensed house in multiple occupation (HMO), under s.72 Housing Act 2004

As an HMO licence cannot be transferred to another person, when a landlord acquires a tenanted property which requires and already has a licence, they cannot rely on the existing licence but must apply to the local authority for their own. They commit an offence if they do not.[5]
Where the tenant's immediate landlord is an intermediate landlord, an RRO can only be made against that landlord. It cannot be made against the superior landlord.[6]

bottom of page